It’s close to impossible to explain how relieved I am right now. I have spent more than two hours editing code on a Facebook Page and nothing seemed to work. I was close to 100% certain that I did everything right, but nothing was working.
I have been installing LikeSpinner on the Facebook Page for the college where I am working. We’ve customized all the images (they’re now in Norwegian). Adding new images was easy, and I believe that you can do it yourself if you have some basic knowledge about html.
This is the Facebook Page (it’s in Norwegian).
LikeSpinner uses Facebook static FBML. To me, FBML looks almost like regular html, so it wasn’t that hard to understand.
Everything was working fine until I tried updating the stylesheet. I did some changes and it was fine, then I edited it again, and nothing of the new updates worked. I tried a different solution, and that didn’t work either. Nothing was working. It made me really frustrated, because I thought I did everything right.
I was using an external stylesheet, and what I didn’t know is that Facebook caches (stores) the stylesheet. So, when I updated it, nothing happened, because Facebook was still using the first stylesheet (the one that I hadn’t updated).
What I had to do was to force Facebook to refresh the stylesheet by adding a new version number every time I updated the stylesheet.
What I had to do was to add the code that you see in red (in the image above).
So, the first time I added the stylesheet I used version 1.0, the next time I updated the stylesheet I had to update the code in the static FBML code to version 1.1, the next time to version 1.2 etc…
Finally, everything is working 100%.