This is a guest post from Sam Mauzy.
There are a lot of websites on the Internet that get a ton of unique visitors every day. This is great for websites that don’t actually sell a service or a product. Professional business websites that try to attract customers via their website, though, need to get a high amount of viewers that convert to customers. This isn’t always an easy task, especially when you have a limited amount of time to grab your visitor’s attention before they click onto another site. Offering freebies is a perfect way to get people to your site and to eventually become customers. After all, everyone loves something for free!
1. eBooks: eBooks are an inexpensive freebie to offer visitors. They don’t cost much to publish and they’re a good way to get visitors interested in your business. With the advent of iPads and Nook books, everyone browses for new eBooks, and the free ones are always paid close attention to. This is especially useful if you work as a writer. For example, you can publish one or two chapters of your novel as a free eBook to get people interested in buying the entire publication.
2. Computer Software: So many people spend hours every day on their computer. Computer software can get pretty expensive. Offering free, high quality software, also called freeware, is an excellent way to get people interested in your computer-based company. The computer software can be offered for a limited time, such as 30 days, before expiring. If users like the software, they’ll be inclined to purchase the package when their free time period’s up.
3. Gift Certificates: Stores and restaurants can give out gift certificates to get people into their establishment. In order to not lose out on too much money, limit the use of the gift certificate. For example, if your boutique has sale items that you can’t get rid of, offer a gift certificate that can be used on sale items. If you’re a restaurant owner and barely have any business on Tuesday nights, offer a gift certificate for that specific time slot. You can also give gift certificates for specific items, like journals or draught beer.
4. Membership to Other Sites: Offering membership to another website may seem like it’s going against what you want to accomplish: getting people to stay on your own website. However, offering a free membership to a website that doesn’t compete with your business can actually help you. First of all, you’ll be giving your visitors something for free, which they’ll love. Secondly, the website you’re affiliated with should promote your site in return, driving your visitors up.
5. Audio Tracks: Musicians should always have one or two free tracks on their website. This is beneficial on a few different levels. The most obvious benefit is that people will automatically like your website, your band and you more if you give them something for free. It also gets more people to listen to your music. If they like what they hear, they may buy more tracks, purchase your album or come to see you at your next live show.
You may be thinking that as long as your business is selling a good product, you shouldn’t have to attract people by giving something away for free. Sometimes marketing is just as important as having quality products and services, though. There are some people who will take your freebie, genuinely like your product and make a purchase. There are other people, though, who will become a customer because you gave them a freebie. This is a subconscious act and many customers don’t even realize that the freebie is the reason why they’re attracted to your company in the first place. This doesn’t mean that they won’t become loyal customers, though. Even if companies that you compete with have better products or services, making friends out of customers is extremely important in the business world.
Sam Mauzy is a blogger and marketer who believes there are many ways to attract new customers to your website. It all starts with knowing the average site conversion rate for businesses in your industry and then learning ways to improve your site in order to compete.